What Does SAS Stand For?
People often ask what SAS stands for.
Back in the early days of SAS Institute, it stood for "Statistical Analysis System", but nowadays officially it doesn't stand for anything. It's just SAS, pronounced to rhyme with "gas".
When so called experts refer to it a "S.A.S." (pronounced as initials) it is a good giveaway that their experience of the organisation, and likely the software, are somewhat limited.
Other organisations with the same initials include:
- Special Air Service (elite British military unit)
- Scandinavian Airlines
- Society for Applied Spectroscopy
- Society for Amateur Scientists
- Singapore American School
- Sequences Annotated by Structure
- Serial Attached SCSI technology
- Southern Astronomical Society (Brisbane)
- Servicio Andaluz de Salud (Andalusia Health Service)
- Surfers Against Sewage